Sunday, September 17, 2006

She Has A Voice!!!!!!

Well, after being so down the last couple of days, I think we were due for something uplifting. Yesterday we really had a great day. Our coordinator took us to the bazaar - kind of like the Soviet swap meet that goes on for several city blocks. We found all kinds of great things and really only saw a fraction of what they have. We will have to go back to get some more great things to take home. They sell everything from electronics to food, and everything in between. There were several aisles devoted to just toys, and others for just shoes (my favorite). We found some cute jeans for our child, as well as a warm coat for her and an umbrella that she had asked for. Jacob found an umbrella that he liked, too - it has giant cartoon spiders on it. He is so happy that we woke up this morning to some more rain - looks like we will be spending the day in it testing out the new umbrella.

When we got to the orphanage, we were expecting more of what we had experienced each of the prior days - quiet little girl, little eye contact, and no talking. Something was different when we entered her group room, though. I saw her in the corner smiling and laughing with one of her little friends. When we walked in, her friend yelled to her "Mama and Papa!". Our child had a huge grin on her face and took off running into the kids' bedroom. I went in after her, and she was grinning from ear to ear - clearly just playing possum with us! I brought in the new jeans that we had bought for her, and she let me help her put them on. When she stood up in them, she looked down at her legs and smiled the biggest smile with the biggest dimples in her cheeks. She liked them!

She took my hand and led me back into the group room. We took a bunch of pictures of her group mates, and my mom and dad got to spend some more time with her, as this was their last visit with her before they started their trek home. Our coordinator explained to her that her "babushka and diedushka" were going home to wait for her. She was visibly sad about that, but still no words. We had decided to try to do something a little more interactive today instead of playing Polly Pockets, so we brought a ball with us. We took it outside and tried to get a little game going. Jacob instantly had a one man soccer game going, but our child would not take part. She just squished herself into my side and grabbed my hand. I had the camera and started taking pictures of Jacob and the other kids outside. I would show her the picture each time and she would smile at it - baby steps...

I decided to see if she would like to take a picture. She had been watching intently every time I did it, so I knew she would know how. I held the camera out to her and asked if she would like to try. She understood and took the camera. At first she just took a picture of me and then turned the camera around to show me. That was all it took. Before long, she was taking pictures of everyone in the family, especially of Daddy and Grandad. She would sneak a picture of them and then run over to show them the picture she took. She was grinning and laughing OUT LOUD the whole time. Before long, all of the other kids at the orphanage were outside, and she took picture after picture of everyone over and over. They all loved seeing what they looked like on camera, and the whole group had a great time! We will have quite the scrapbook of photos for her when she gets home. I don't think she left a single kid out of the pictures. She was actually running all over the compound shooting pictures, and at one point, I actually even heard her say something to one of her friends while she was laughing with such joy. God is good. I know that this time of not talking is going to pass. Hopefully it will pass while we are here, but if not, that is okay. She will warm up in her own time. The important part is that she is happy to be with us, and when asked if she wants to be in our family, she nods yes. The rest will come.

We had to say good-bye to my parents last night. They should be getting off the train right about now in Almaty - the worst part is over for their trip home, thank goodness! It was such a blessing to have them with us for the first part of our journey. We had no idea how much we were going to need them here for emotional support and to help with Jacob. They will be sorely missed. Poor Jacob woke up crying this morning just missing them. We haven't gone down to breakfast yet, and I am not sure how he is going to take the change. We eat at the same table in the same spots every day in the restaurant. Jacob is at the head of the table, with Daddy and Grandad on either side of him, and Mommy and Grannie on the ends. We will only have 3 at our table, and it is going to hit him hard. I am just so grateful for the time that they were here, and I know they have mixed feelings about leaving. We will be back with them and the rest of our so-missed family soon.

Today will mark the half-way mark of the bonding period. Once that time is over, we will be able to get a court date. Please pray that is scheduled quickly so that we can return home as soon as possible. We miss all of you, and can't wait to be home. Keep the e-mails and comments coming!!!

3 Comments:

At 9:34 PM, Blogger Jesi Q said...

WOW! I am so happy you guys had a breakthrough! It's so great that your parents were there for it too... something uplifting before beginning the long trip home. I'm sure their thrilled to have the train ride behind them and will have a safe journey home.

Dasha must be starting to realize that you guys are the real thing for her this time. A permanent family. I can't imagine how exciting it will be for her to get to the U.S. and have such an amazing family waiting to love her. I can't wait to hear how the visits continue progressing and what other neat gifts you guys are able to bring to her that cause her to grin ear to ear!

Keep on blogging... your blogs keep all of us here at home filled with excitement and emotion as we experience our vicarious journeys through you all!

Hugs to all,
Jesi and Joe

P.S. Tell Jacob we're looking forward to taking him for that ride in our Sweet Ride! Give him some big kisses for us!

 
At 5:39 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Kim,

I can hear the excitment in your blog. I'm addicted to your web page. I check it daily and then pray for all of you. Keep your spirits up. God bless all of you.

Kay

 
At 12:33 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Kim & Jeff,
Hey, when are those kids getting their pizza!!!
Seriously, it's people like you two who really make a difference in this world. Your daughter sounds so beautiful. Sometimes facial expressions say more than words. It sounds like she loves you both already. Kim, I really miss our emails, but at least I can read all about your grand adventure to get your daughter.
I'll be leaving for NYC in a couple of days, and I WON'T have a computer to check your blog. I check it everyday to hear more about your awesome trip.
Take care, Peggy

 

Post a Comment

<< Home