Wednesday, September 13, 2006

Rain in Kazakhstan

Okay, so Kim wrote a nice piece on our trip, but she left out a few details that you might find entertaining. We have met some awesome people. Our coordinators have been great. Even more so, our daughter is an angel. Yesterday was day two, and when we arrived at the orphanage, she ran up and gave Kim a big hug! It was so cool!

She wouldn't let go of Kim's hand, and led us around the orphanage. She smiled, and played, and it seemed she was getting more and more comfortable with us. Our translator asked if she wanted to be in our (The Werkmeister) family? She said she did... As hard as the trip has been, I'd do it again for that one response. We gave her a photo album with our families pictures, and she studies constantly.

I think it's important to acknowledge what a little trooper Jacob has been. I know he's home sick. He asks for Amber and Mitchell daily. We were watching Jim Carrey's How the Grinch Stole Christmas this morning (at 5 am, as Jacob's internal clock is still a bit off) and when he heard the dog's name was Max, Jacob said, I miss Max, one of our dog's name is Max. Jacob has been so good at the orphanage, trying to play with the kids, giving his new sister gifts everyday. He continues to try and entertain, yesterday was a melody of Beach Boy songs. I think she may think her new brother is a little strange with the Break Dancing and singing.

Rick and Pam have been saints as well. They never complain, are always up for whatever. We are so blessed.

We have read the comments on the blog and emails, and we are so grateful to you all. It gives us strength, and we need it.

I was pretty sure that the hardest part of this adventure would be going to the orphanage everyday, and seeing the children. I was right. Our orphanage is nice as far as orphanages go. The staff is really good. However, they lack resources. The play ground is in need of upgrades, just to be safe. The kids need shoes and clothes. I'm pretty sure God is sending me a pretty clear message as to what I need to do...We'll do what we can while we're here, but there's so much more that's needed.

I guess I started to tell about our trip and got side-tracked. As we arrived in Kazakhstan, we were met by our Coordinator, who was awesome. As we were loading our bags into the cars, the cab drivers next to us started arguing, it escalated into a full on brawl. Apparently two competing companies/groups were there. We didn't stick around to see how it turned out.

We took an overnight train, it was literally, an old Soviet Train. It smelled pretty fierce, and please don't use the restroom...of course a ten and a half train ride makes that impossible. I think Pam was going for some kind of record as she went four times. She should have gotten hazardous duty pay.

We had sleeper cars, the bummer was they only slept 4, and we are five. So I was the odd man out. I slept in a cabin with four locals. Nice enough, but we couldn't understand a word they said. Apparently, they ran out of Speed Stick last year, because it was nothing nice.

I think I'm typed out. We are doing well. We're tired, but I don't think any of us would want to be anywhere else. I can't wait to bring my new daughter home...I wish I could speed up time.

We appreciate your prayers and kind words, please keep them up, it keeps our strength up.

5 Comments:

At 8:24 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You guys are awesome, what an adventure! I have been praying that you have blessed experience, and it clearly seems that this is what you are having! I can't wait to read the next chapter of the "Werkmeister's Adventure". Be safe and know that you are missed and loved at home!

Love you,
Lily Celaya

 
At 1:08 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey you guys..... what a beautiful story so far. I needed my kleenex after reading this. I can only imagine how you felt after meeting Dasha for the first time. I'm sure in her own quiet way, she's very happy to have you both as parents.
I think about you daily, and look forward to reading more about your wonderful adventure. Peggy

 
At 2:28 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Jeff and Kim - and Jacob, I can see somewhat clearer now; everything was so blurry before - must have been the welling up in my eyes. My heart is welled up too for you all. Thank you for sharing all this with us. I can't wait to see you ALL here.

 
At 3:25 PM, Blogger Jenafer said...

I am so excited for you guys! It sounds like you are having the adventure of a lifetime. I am so glad you guys are doing a blog so that we can share in this adventure. Our thoughts and prayers will continue to be with you and your new daughter as you continue on your journey. Lots of love, Jenafer, Jim & Joshua

 
At 5:44 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Family!

Wow! You're entries are so heart-wrenching. I can't imagine the experience from your shoes. May God continue to strengthen you each day as you walk in faith with Him.

Love,
Michael G

 

Post a Comment

<< Home