Saturday, September 23, 2006

Another Day, Another Tenge…

We had a great day yesterday (Friday). Time is a little confusing here as we are thirteen hours ahead of California time (Pacific Standard Time). After breakfast we went for our morning walk. We decided to walk a little further and go to the “Gros.” The Gros is a large supermarket. There are many small markets on almost every block, but the Gros is an actual chain, similar to Ralph’s or Safeway. The nice thing about the Gros is that it has an electronics store upstairs and a sporting goods store downstairs. We needed to get a new I-Card or phone card that is the best way to call home. At least from a price stand point. We can use the phone from our hotel room, and the card works pretty well. We had looked at international cell phones, but Kazakhstan is not your standard cell coverage country, and it would have been expensive. The I-Cards are great, and easy to use.

Sorry, I go off on too many tangents. The walk to the Gros (great name – pronounced gross) is about two miles, which Jacob can walk halfway, I end up carrying him on my shoulders the rest of the way. It’s a pretty good exercise program for all of us. On the road to the Gros is a large park with amusement park rides. We promised Jacob we’d stop and ride some of the rides on the way back from the Gros, if he was good. Meaning, he won’t break anything in the store. He did it, we got a new I-Card, and some CD Rom discs for downloading pictures from our camera. We have some amazing pictures, and video. Our daughter loves to take pictures and she took some really good pictures of the kids at the orphanage. As we’ve said before, we will post pictures after our court date. I’m sure we are a little conservative, but after our scare the other day, I don’t think we can be too conservative.

Back to the walk, as we entered the park, we found it was a huge park. We found a small outdoor amphitheater where a performance was going on. It looked like the local school was hosting, they had dancing, singing and stories. Of course we couldn’t understand any of it, but we were able to get the idea. The costumes were amazing, the dancing was both very traditional to very modern and enjoyable for all of us to watch. The kids put on a great performance. Jacob was enthralled. I was so bummed we didn’t have our video camera with us.

After the show, we went to the rides. Only a few were open, and no one spoke English. The woman working the Carousel was so nice, she recognized we were stupid Americans and let Jacob ride for free. I finally figured out where to buy the tickets, and after a lot of crazy communication figured out how much the rides cost. Each ride was 40 Tenge, or about 15 cents. We walked back to the hotel, and tried to take a nap. Jacob wasn’t having any of it. Unfortunately, he’s at the age where he’s almost outgrown naps. So it can be a struggle at times.

Our visit to the orphanage was great. It was low key, and Jacob and our daughter played so well together. The orphanage kids want so badly to play with us, I like to think it’s because I’m so much fun, but it may have something to do with the candy and cookies I always seem to carry with me. The kids try to respect our time with our daughter, but the allure of treats and play just gets to be too much. All the kids seem to love to be thrown in the air, spun around etc. That seems to be my job, and although each morning my back is sore, I enjoy playing with these wonderful children.

There’s one little boy, we learned he’s four almost five years old. He’s about half the size of Jacob, and Jacob’s age. His name is Loula, which is a Kazak name I’m sure I’m not spelling correctly. He has crossed eyes and although he’s by the far the smallest kid at the orphanage, he’s fearless. There is a half dome jungle gym built for climbing. All the kids including Jacob love to climb it. The other day I saw two of the older boys (probably around 12 in appearance, but really 15 or 16) climbing to the top and standing on 4 inch by 4 inch square at the top. It was quite a feat. That is until I saw the little cross eyed boy climb up yesterday. He flew to the top and stood up there like it was no big deal. Even more remarkable was how he climbed back down. Keep in mind he can’t be more than 30 inches tall. He literally slides down and throws his weight like an experienced rock climber. I have an affinity with this boy, Loula as I was born cross eyed as well, I wonder if someone will ever straighten his eyes, as someone did for me. He has a sister that we met the first day who is hearing impaired, and signs pretty well. I wished I’d learned more sign language from my friend Jim Brewington. These two kids are not available for adoption as their grandmother won’t give up the family birth right. Of course she doesn’t visit, and both children have to be adopted at the same time if they were available as siblings are required to stay together in adoptions here. If I could I would bring Loula home with our daughter, but it’s not in the cards. I can go on and on about all of these kids, so many stories, so many that I think, we could help this one or that one. Unfortunately, we can’t. But we can create a great home for our daughter, and that will have to be enough. So, I keep bringing candy and cookies, I’ll toss these kids around until I can’t stand up straight, and hope it brings them some happiness.

After our visit we took our coordinators to dinner at the Turkish restaurant that not only has an English menu, but also pizza! Our coordinators are so great, I wanted to take them in appreciation for all that they have done for us. We had a great time, and ate Pizza, that was pretty good, and kabobs that were just fantastic. Mitchell, it wasn’t quite Bob’s Kabobs, but pretty close, and no, they didn’t have Turkish delight like in Narnia.

We can’t wait to come home and see Amber and Mitchell. Pam and Rick have been so awesome. They are now back in California, and pick up Amber and Mitchell from school and make sure they call us with the kids every chance they get. It really lifts our spirits. We miss them more than you will ever know. I am dreading leaving our daughter behind. I fear that she will think we’re abandoning her, as so many others have. I came up with a plan, and Caryn Goacher helped inspire it. She had recommended we give our daughter something to remember us. So, I’ve been thinking what should I give her, something to return to us, so she knows we expect her to come home. I had thought of leaving my watch, or sunglasses, but none of those items seemed right. Then it hit me, I’m leaving her a house key, not just any key, but the key to our house. Please pray that this will be enough to get her through the month before she comes home. We will also send letters to her, via email that our coordinator promised they will bring to her and read them.

I want to thank you all again for your kind emails and comments, we love to read them. Feel free to send messages to Jacob, as he loves to hear them and respond. Although, he’s stolen a joke from his aunt Caryn, so you may get a booger joke in response.

Today we get to go to the orphanage a little early, as the kids are putting on a big production for a group of German “sponsors” that come twice a year and help out the orphanage. This is the performance that our daughter has been rehearsing for, with the dance routines. We have our video camera and digital camera charged and ready for what is likely to be a great show! I don’t remember if we talked about our court date and return home yet, but we were able to get our official court date scheduled for Monday, Oct 2. We will leave immediately from our town and drive all the way to Almaty to catch our night flight home. We will be home as scheduled on Tue October 3 – Amber and Mitchell get ready for the biggest hugs you have ever had!!!!!! (That part’s from Mommy)

2 Comments:

At 8:08 AM, Blogger Jesi Q said...

It's the home stretch! You guys are almost there! I can't believe your court date is just around the corner! I think the house key sounds like an amazing idea. I'm sure that's something she won't let out of here sights while she waits to go home! That and her build-a-bear kitty! Have faith that she will be strong and know she's not being left for long.

Your daily blogs keep Joe and I so excited as we follow your journey! Your strength and patience is so admirable to us all! Tell Jacob I'm going to work on getting a really good joke to tell him!

Much love,
Jesi and Joe

 
At 11:26 AM, Blogger Jenafer said...

What a wonderful idea to leave a key to your house! Our thoughts and prayers will be with you guys during the last part of your trip. We are praying that your court date goes well and that your new daughter will handle the separation with as much ease as is possible in what will surely be a difficult time. Hopefully she will be able to concentrate on coming home and the days will pass quickly!Our thoughts and prayers are with you. Thank you so much for blogging every day and keeping us in the loop (although I'm getting a little tired of crying every day - my husband knows when walks in and sees me crying at my computer each day that I must be reading your blog!)

In our thoughts and prayers,
Jim & Jenafer

 

Post a Comment

<< Home