Thursday, November 09, 2006

The Waiting…

Tom Petty once sang, “The waiting is the hardest part…”
I’m pretty sure we know what that means. We returned home from Kazakhstan over five weeks ago. It was so nice to be back home, good food, our bed, not sharing a room with our four year old Jacob and best of all seeing Amber and Mitchell.

It took us almost two weeks get acclimated and recover from our trip. We thought when we returned it was all going to be down hill. We were wrong. It seemed every day has been slower than the day before. At the same time, every day has brought new worries. First it was getting through the Appeal period. A fourteen-day period where someone could contest the adoption. I anticipated some random family member making a claim on Dasha and we’d have to pay them off to go away. That was fourteen sleepless nights.

Next came getting a passport for Dasha. Dasha will not become a U.S. citizen until she touches U.S. soil, so she has to travel home on a Kazakhstan Passport. I’m a little unclear, but isn’t the U.S. Embassy considered U.S. Soil? Apparently not when I need it to be. So, we are at the mercy of the Kazakhstan government to get a passport done in a week. No way does this happen in the states, so how can the land of Borat do it?

Sometimes, God likes to remind me who’s driving. As it turns out, the passport appeared exactly one week later (right on time).

The Visa was the next issue. You may or may not remember, but we had gone to the embassy and set up the travel visa while we were in Kazakhstan. I’m not sure what happened, and may never know, but there was a delay. As communication was limited with Vera (our coordinator) we were going crazy not knowing what was going on. Just like the passport, the visa seemed to just show up. It may have been best I don’t know the details.

Originally, we had thought we’d mapped Dasha homecoming to be around the 30th of October. We thought we were conservative.

As we waited, and time moved (slowly) along, airfares began to skyrocket. At one point we were looking at $5,000 a ticket. I don’t want to sound cheap, and if I would have had to pay that much, I would have paid it, but holy-cow! We spoke with the airlines, pleaded our case, and they didn’t care, or maybe they just couldn’t do anything about?

If I was wise, I would have started taking anti-anxiety medications, maybe Valium, Xanax or whatever I could get my hands on. Instead, we rode out the storm with the occasional glass of wine.

We all cope differently. I would have to detach myself from the situation. It would have been impossible to focus on work, so I made myself focus on work and try not to think of my new daughter. It really wasn’t that effective. I think Kim went through the same thing. Jacob has been a trooper. He has been on an emotional roller coaster. Everyday he asks, when is Dasha coming home? I miss her. Daddy, why can’t you go get her? There really isn’t an easy answer to give such monumental questions.

We’ve spent the time creating a Princess room, that Kim, Pam and Amber have decorated and filled with clothes, shoes and toys. I am so proud of Jacob and Mitchell, as they’ve sacrificed having their own room, so Dasha could have her own room. The boys are now sharing a room to make room for the new princess in our house. The boy’s room is now a sports theme room. They seem to be happy, but I know they made the sacrifice for their new sister, with no objection, just enthusiasm.

Now, the waiting is almost over. As I write this Dasha is somewhere in the sky, on her first plane ride, on her way home to her new life. We will pick her, Vera and Medet up from the airport tomorrow at 3:30 pm California (Pacific Standard Time). As time literally inches along, I find myself wondering, what is she thinking about? Is she excited? Scared? Is she sad to leave her friends at the orphanage? Will she remember me? What will her reaction to us be tomorrow? I can no longer detach.

Our weekend is already planned out. Friday we come home, Barb (my mom) and Pam have planned out Dasha’s first American dinner. Saturday, we go to the beach. Dasha has never seen the ocean. We had asked her if she knew how to swim, but she couldn’t comprehend it, and said she’d taken baths. In our house, we go to the beach. One day, I hope to paddle out on my surfboard with all four kids paddling ride along side (a father’s dream). Saturday night, we’ll have the family over, with all of the cousins, uncles, aunts and grandparents. I’m not if we can keep them away any longer, as they are all very excited about meeting the newest Werkmeister.

Sunday, as promised, we go to Disneyland. At this point I suspect and hope Dasha blows a fuse with excitement. I can’t wait to experience her reaction to this new world. No more Soviet trains, crazy drivers just Mickey Mouse and Autotopia.

We’ve had such a great response from so many who’ve read our blog. Tonight, I ask for prayers. I pray that I am worthy of this gift God has given us. I pray that her new life is that of a princess and that she knows joy, comfort, security and most of all Love.
Please pray that Dasha safely arrives home. The last word we have, is that she is still clutching her house key…

One more sleepless night, I wish I could get Tom Petty out of my head, only one more day.

6 Comments:

At 8:12 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

My prayers are with all of you. It will be good as I know who is watching over Dasha and all of you.

Kay

 
At 2:56 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I can't sleep , I've been up thinking about you , your family and that sweet Dasha. I have been following your family's story and I've been rooting for and praying for you the entire way. What a beautiful and exciting day this will be for you.
I will continue to look forward to the updates and pictures of your growing family :)
Sandra (Kevin's wife-UOP)

 
At 8:22 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I will be praying for you today!!! I am so excited that you are finally going to be getting your daughter home! Thanks so much for the update and I can't wait to hear how your first weekend with daughter home goes!
Jenafer

 
At 8:54 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh my goodness! I can't believe Dasha is just about here! You guys are such an inspiration, I am so blessed and privileged to know you and your story. I would have cried my eyes out, had I not been at work reading your blog. You are a true witness of what it's like to let go and let God, as cliche as it sounds. I trust that what God has started will continue to be a GREAT blessing in the lives of the Werkmeisters! I will definitely continue to pray for your family.

With love and admiration,
Lily :)

 
At 2:55 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Kim & Family our prayers are with you in these last hours before your gift from God arrives.....All of our love and support...

Margie, Kathryn and Janet

P.S. Please let us know when we can meet Dasha

 
At 3:36 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

My eyes are welled with tears. I was reading your blog and got to the part about Dasha getting here at 3:30 today. I looked at the clock on my computer and she is getting here in 2 minutes! I can just picture you all at the airport waiting for her. She must be burting with excitement too. I can't wait to meet her.

Congratulations!!!!

--Shelley

 

Post a Comment

<< Home